See Beyond Winning: Reason & Vision


There are two types of motivation: intrinsic and extrinsic.

When you decide to sign-up for a pageant, you are first often motivated by an external factor: Winning the title and crown. There’s nothing wrong with this as motivation, it’s a common one among all contestants.

But to have the mental, emotional and spiritual strength to overcome the many obstacles, stresses and disappointments when preparing for a pageant, you need to find your internal, or intrinsic, motivation. This is what will keep you motivated and help you maintain a positive mindset.

What’s your reason?

What is the real reason for why you want to win this title? Maybe you feel like you need to prove something – to yourself, to others, but in order to be seen as a titleholder, you must move beyond just wanting to win the crown to prove something.

Your reason is something internally that fires you up. Something you are passionate about and it usually stems from a personal experience. This turns into what contestants create as their platform.

Stories have the power to change lives. Take some time to think about a personal story of yours that emotionally moves you. Maybe it’s a bit tough for you to talk about it right now, but through practice of mock interviews and telling the story to your friends, coaches and others, it will begin to empower you and you will in-turn find the strength to continue to share your story and your story will help others.

What’s your vision?

Now that you’ve established a strong intrinsic motivation, it’s important to create a clearly defined vision. Every great titleholder has something that the judges were able to grasp onto: vision.

If you can get a crystal clear idea of why you want to win, what you are going to do once you win and how you are going to make that happen, you now allow the opportunity for the judges to share this same vision. If you paint that picture clear enough in every area of competition, the judges will want to turn this vision of yours into a reality and crown you as the next titleholder.

So, take some time to first establish your internal motivation. Then, answer the following questions - I provided my answers as an example:

What’s your personal story that makes up your reason? My mom had me at a very young age, which made growing up difficult for both of us. We moved around a lot and I know my mom struggled to take care of me. I have been very blessed and turned my past into motivation to be successful so I wouldn’t have to endure what my mom had to.

What are your goals to spread your message? I want to empower as many youth as possible. I want kids to think and speak out their dreams. I want them to know that they may have no control of their current circumstances, but they cannot let it define who they are and are in complete control on their future.

How exactly are you going to accomplish your goals? I will conduct Dream Board workshops, distribute the workbook I created and share my personal story with youth organizations like the Boys & Girls Clubs, schools and churches.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Want To Win The Pageant? BE the Titleholder!

Your Title is Not Your Identity

Stress Free is the Way to Be!